According to Kew Species Profiles[KSP]
- General Description
The daffodil is the 'golden' flower that inspired the poetry of William Wordsworth.
This well-known European flower brings bright swathes of colour to woods and grassland in early spring. Although the daffodil is sometimes known as the Easter lily, it is actually a member of the Amaryllidaceae (the plant family that also includes snowdrops) and hence is not a true lily.
The Latin name for daffodil is thought to have been inspired by Narcissus, who was a figure in Greek mythology said to have fallen in love with his reflection in a pool of water. The nodding head of the daffodil is said to represent Narcissus bending down and gazing at his reflection.
- France, Germany, Portugal, Spain, United Kingdom
- Woodlands, coppices, open meadows and grassy slopes.
- Locally abundant and not considered to be threatened.
The leaves, stems, seed pods and bulbs contain toxic alkaloids.
First published in Sp. Pl.: 289 (1753)
-  (2016) Journal of the Botanical Research Institute of Texas 10: 175-190
-  Castroviejo, S. & al. (eds.) (2013) Flora Iberica 20: 1-651. Real Jardín Botánico, CSIC, Madrid.
-  (2010) Phytoneuron 2010-9: 1-6
-  (2002) Botanical Journal of Scotland 54: 153-190
-  Blanchard, J.W. (1990) Narcissus a Guide to Wild Daffodils . Alpine Garden Society, Woking.
-  (1985) Sommerfeltia 1: 5-103
-  (1980) Flora of New Zealand 3: 1-220. R.E.Owen, Government Printer, Wellington.
-  Zonneveld, B.J.M. (2008). The systematic value of nuclear DNA content for all species of Narcissus L. (Amaryllidaceae). Plant Systematics and Evolution 275: 109-132.
-  Mabey, R. (1996). Flora Britannica. Chatto & Windus.
-  Arlott, N., Fitter, R. & Fitter, A. (1993). British wildlife. HarperCollins.
-  Jefferson-Brown, M. (1991). Narcissus. B.T. Batsford Ltd., London.
-  Blanchard, J.W. (1990). Narcissus - a guide to wild daffodils. Alpine Garden Society, Surrey.
International Plant Names Index
The International Plant Names Index (2016). Published on the Internet http://www.ipni.org
[A] © Copyright 2016 International Plant Names Index. https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0
Kew Species Profiles
Kew Species Profiles
World Checklist of Selected Plant Families
World Checklist of Selected Plant Families(2016). Published on the Internet http://apps.kew.org/wcsp/
[D] © Copyright 2016 International Plant Names Index and World Checkist of Selected Plant Families. https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0