According to Flora of West Tropical Africa[FWTA]
Primulaceae, P. Taylor. Flora of West Tropical Africa 2. 1963
- A branched herb to 4 ft. high
- Flowers white or pink
- In grassland.
According to Flora Zambesiaca[FZ]
Primulaceae, F. K. Kupicha. Flora Zambesiaca 7:1. 1983
- Robust perennial herb up to 1 m. tall.
- Stems erect or decumbent, terete, reddish, leafy.
- Leaves up to 6 x 1·5 cm. (in F.Z. area), broadly to narrowly elliptic or lanceolate, ± epetiolate, often shortly acuminate at the apex, cuneate, obtuse or cordate at the base; lamina surfaces and margin almost always dotted with irregular blackish glands.
- Racemes up to 30 cm. long, spicate, lax or congested, terminal and axillary.
- Pedicels up to 5 mm. long (in fruit), each subtended by a bract 2–3 mm. long.
- Flowers covered with short–stalked glands on all parts, especially on inner surface of calyx and corolla and on stamens.
- Calyx divided almost to the base; lobes c. 2·5 mm. long, oblong–elliptic.
- Corolla c. 3·8 mm. long, campanulate, white, pink or mauve; lobes equalling or slightly longer than calyx, elliptic.
- Stamens c. 2 mm. long, inserted in a ring below the corolla lobes; connective produced above the anther into a fleshy apiculus.
- Ovary c. 1 mm. long, globose, with style c. 1 mm. long.
- Capsule 3–4(5) mm. in diameter, globose, dehiscing by 5 valves, these remaining erect, not recurving.
- Seeds 0·8–1 mm. long, ± tetrahedral, blackish, smooth or minutely granular.
According to Flora of Tropical East Africa[FTEA]
Primulaceae, P. Taylor. Flora of Tropical East Africa. 1958
- Rootstock short and woody, with very numerous wiry roots.
- Stems erect or decumbent, few to very many, up to 1 m. high, terete, usually strongly tinged with red below.
- Leaves alternate or subopposite, varying from broadly elliptic to lanceolate, acute, basally cuneate, obtuse or auriculate, green above, glaucous beneath, with numerous irregular-shaped punctate blackish glands.
- Flowers in congested or lax terminal racemes from 1 to 50 cm. in length; pedicels 1–3 (–5) cm. long.
- Calyx-lobes oblong, 2–3 mm. long at anthesis, 3–4 mm. long in fruit; apex obtuse, acute or rarely acuminate.
- Corolla subcampanulate, white or pink, about equal to or slightly longer than the calyx.
- Capsule globose, 3–4 mm. in diameter; style persistent.
- Seeds numerous, 3–angled, about 1 mm. long.
- Fig. 2, p. 6.
- Riversides, marshes, ditches and damp places generally; 960–3450 m.
- from Ethiopia southwards to Natal and Madagascar, also in the Cameroons. K1 K3 K4 K5 K6 T1 T2 T3 T7 T8 U2 U3 U4
According to Project MGU - Useful Plants Project (UPP) database[UPPd]
- Digestive System Disorders
- Leaf juices used as a remedy for hepatic diseases Leaves - Medicinal Plants of East Africa. Second edition
Angola, Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Provinces, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Free State, Kenya, KwaZulu-Natal, Madagascar, Malawi, Mozambique, Northern Provinces, Rwanda, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia, Zaïre, Zimbabwe
Lysimachia ruhmeriana Vatke appears in other Kew resources:
Herbarium Catalogue (15 records)
|Date Identified||Reference||Herbarium Specimen||Type Status|
|Sep 1, 2002||Etuge, M. , Cameroon||K000008243|
|Sep 1, 2002||Cheek, M. , Cameroon||K000008244|
|Dec 1, 2000||Etuge, M. , Cameroon||K000338626|
|Dec 1, 2000||Munyenyembe, P. , Cameroon||K000338627|
|Dec 1, 2000||Cheek, M. , Cameroon||K000338629|
|Apr 1, 1999||Etuge, M. , Cameroon||K000338628|
|Jan 1, 1968||Schimper , Ethiopia||K000225814||isotype|
|Nov 1, 1958||Hepper, F.N. , Cameroon||K000027910|
|Dec 28, 1956||Holst, C. [9013a], Tanzania||K000225812||lectotype|
|Dec 28, 1956||Schweinfurth, G. , Eritrea||K000225813||lectotype|
|Dec 1, 1956||Ujor, E.U. [FHI 30383], Cameroon||K000027913|
|Dec 1, 1956||Maitland, T.D. , Cameroon||K000027914|
|Leeuwenberg, A.J.M. , Cameroon||K000027912|
|Leeuwenberg, A.J.M. , Cameroon||K000027909|
|Brunt, M.A. , Cameroon||K000027911|
First published in Linnaea 40: 204 (1876)
-  Darbyshire, I., Kordofani, M., Farag, I., Candiga, R. & Pickering, H. (eds.) (2015) The Plants of Sudan and South Sudan . Kew publishing, Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew
-  (2010) Journal of East African Natural History 99: 129-226
-  (2008) Strelitzia 22: 1-279. National Botanical Institute, Pretoria
-  (2006) Flora of Ethiopia and Eritrea 5: 1-690. The National Herbarium, Addis Ababa University, Ethiopia & The Department of Systematic Botany, Upps
-  (2003) Strelitzia 14: 1-1231. National Botanical Institute, Pretoria
-  Troupin, G. (ed.) (1985) Flora du Rwanda 3: 1-729. Musee Royal de l'Afrique Centrale
-  (1983) Flora Zambesiaca 7(1): 1-394. Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew
-  (1971) Flore du Congo du Rwanda et du Burundi , Primulaceae: 1-15. Jardin Botanique National de Belgique, Bruxelles
-  (1958) Flora of Tropical East Africa , Primulaceae: 1-20
-  Medicinal Plants of East Africa. Second edition
-  P. Tayl. in Kew Bulletin 1958 : 142 (1958).
-  Pax & Knuth in A. Engler, Das Pflanzenreich IV. 237 : 292 (1905).
-  Pax & Knuth in Engl. Pflanzenr. 4, 237, Primulac.: 292.
-  F.T.A. 3: 489
-  Oliv. in Flora of Tropical Africa 3 : 489 (1877).
-  Vatke in Linnaea, 40 : 204 (1876)
-  in Linnea 40: 204 (1876)
Flora of Tropical East Africa
Flora of Tropical East Africa
Flora of West Tropical Africa
Kew Names and Taxonomic Backbone
The International Plant Names Index and World Checklist of Selected Plant Families 2017. Published on the Internet at http://www.ipni.org and http://apps.kew.org/wcsp/
[D] See http://kew.org/about-kew/website-information/legal-notices/index.htm You may use data on these Terms and Conditions and on further condition that: The data is not used for commercial purposes; You may copy and retain data solely for scholarly, educational or research purposes; You may not publish our data, except for small extracts provided for illustrative purposes and duly acknowledged; You acknowledge the source of the data by the words "With the permission of the Trustees of the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew" in a position which is reasonably prominent in view of your use of the data; Any other use of data or any other content from this website may only be made with our prior written agreement. http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0
[E] © Copyright 2017 International Plant Names Index and World Checklist of Selected Plant Families. http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0
Project MGU - Useful Plants Project (UPP) database