According to Kew Species Profiles[KSP]
Kew Species Profiles
- General Description
Vallea stipularis is a beautiful, evergreen, South American shrub with masses of pinkish-red or crimson, bell-shaped flowers.
For a long time, Vallea stipularis was thought to be the only species in the genus Vallea, which is named in honour of the Italian botanist Felice Valle (d. 1747), who wrote an early account of the flora of Corsica. Then, in 1988, a second species was discovered in Ecuador and described as V. ecuadorensis. Vallea stipularis is a shrub or a tree with hairless ovaries and styles, whereas V. ecuadorensis is a climbing shrub or tree with densely velvety ovaries and styles.
Vallea stipularis has been cultivated in Europe since 1928, but is rather frost-tender, so has never become common. It is usually grown against a wall or in a cool, shady greenhouse.
- Species Profile
Geography and distribution
Native to South America, where it occurs in the Andes Mountains in Bolivia, Peru, Ecuador, Colombia and Venezuela, at 1,600–4,000 m above sea level.Description
A many-branched, evergreen shrub or tree up to 18 m tall. The leaves are heart-shaped or pear-shaped, sometimes lobed, up to 10 cm long, dark green, and paler beneath, with tufts of hairs in the vein axils. The small, bell-shaped flowers are pinkish-red or crimson and borne on branching stalks. They have five sepals and five, three-lobed, petals, around 13 mm long. The ovary and styles are hairless. There are 15–60 stamens.
- Bolivia, Ecuador, Peru, Venezuela
- Forest and scrub, along forest margins, and in páramo (grassland) vegetation above the cloud forest.
- Not known to be threatened.
Vallea stipularis L.f. appears in other Kew resources:
Herbarium Catalogue (14 records)
|Date Identified||Reference||Herbarium Specimen||Type Status|
|Spruce, R. , Ecuador||K000202432|
|Spruce, R. , Ecuador||K000202433|
|Spruce, R. , Ecuador||K000202434|
|Spruce, R. , Ecuador||K000202435|
|s.coll. , Colombia||K000381922||Unknown type material|
|Schlim, L. , Colombia||K000381923||Unknown type material|
|Mathews [s.n.], Peru||K000381924||Unknown type material|
|Matthews [s.n.], Peru||K000381925|
|Pearce , Ecuador||K000381926|
|Jameson [s.n.], Colombia||K000381927|
First published in Suppl. Pl.: 266 (1782)
-  Idárraga-Piedrahita, A., Ortiz, R.D.C., Callejas Posada, R. & Merello, M. (eds.) (2011) Flora de Antioquia: Catálogo de las Plantas Vasculares 2: 1-939. Universidad de Antioquia, Medellín
-  Hokche, O., Berry, P.E. & Huber, O. (eds.) (2008) Nuevo Catálogo de la Flora Vascular de Venezuela . Fundación Instituto Botánico de Venezuela
-  (2015) Bonplandia. Corrientes 24: 37-42
-  The Plant List (2010). Vallea stipularis.
-  Jaramillo Azanza, J. (1988). Notes of Ecuadorean Vallea (Elaeocarpaceae) with the description of a new species. Nord. J. Bot. 8: 19–23.
-  Joyal, E. (1987). Ethnobotanical field notes from Ecuador: Camp, Prieto, Jørgensen, and Giler. Econ. Bot. 41(2): 163-189.
-  Coode, M.J.E. (1985). Aristotelia and Vallea, closely allied in Elaeocarpaceae. Kew Bull. 40: 479-507.
-  Kunkel, G. (1984). Plants for Human Consumption: an Annotated Checklist of the Edible Phanerogams and Ferns. Koeltz Scientific Books, Koenigstein.
Kew Names and Taxonomic Backbone
The International Plant Names Index and World Checklist of Selected Plant Families (2017). Published on the internet at http://www.ipni.org and http://apps.kew.org/wcsp
[A] See http://kew.org/about-kew/website-information/legal-notices/index.htm You may use data on these Terms and Conditions and on further condition that: The data is not used for commercial purposes; You may copy and retain data solely for scholarly, educational or research purposes; You may not publish our data, except for small extracts provided for illustrative purposes and duly acknowledged; You acknowledge the source of the data by the words "With the permission of the Trustees of the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew" in a position which is reasonably prominent in view of your use of the data; Any other use of data or any other content from this website may only be made with our prior written agreement. http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0
[B] © Copyright 2017 International Plant Names Index and World Checklist of Selected Plant Families. http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0
Kew Species Profiles
Kew Species Profiles